MBA, General Management; Kenan-Flagler Business School; UNC Chapel Hill (2009-2012)
- • First MBA/MSIS dual degree candidate
- • President (2011-2012), Project Manager (2010-2011), Business Technology Club
MSIS, Human-Computer Interaction; School of Information and Library Science; UNC Chapel Hill (2009-2012)
- • Thesis: Retention and satisfaction in passive versus interactive multimedia
- • Weekly ESL tutor to a hispanic UNC Dining Services' employee
BA, Visual Communication; School of Journalism and Mass Communication; UNC Chapel Hill (2003-2007)
- • President (2006-2007), VP of Marketing (2005-2006), Society of News Design
- • Board Member, Students United for Darfur Awareness Now (2004-2006)
» Professional Experience
IBM Senior Marketing Manager (2014 - present)
Oversee content marketing for IBM Customer Engagement Solutions, an integrated portfolio of cloud-based and on premise marketing and analytics offerings within IBM Commerce.
- • Create and lead monthly editorial calendar to ensure consistent and timely content and messaging published across our channels, resulting in 260 blogs and LinkedIn articles published in 1H 2015 receiving 20k+ engagements and 30 videos published receiving 20k+ views.
- • Led development of iOS mobile app containing 200+ of our assets across our portfolio tagged by role, industry, product and asset type for sellers to easily utilize on-the-go. In first month app was installed and utilized by 890 sellers worldwide.
- • Initiated monthly reporting cadence to review analytics across our five social properties to ensure MOM growth of 10 quantitative and qualitative metrics.
- • Led external content campaign to boost contributions from clients, BPs and influencers leading to 22% of our content being external in first quarter on team vs 9% before I joined.
- • Owned messaging overhaul to align to the IBM MobileFirst rebranding initiative in February 2013, including refreshing our external website (ibm.com/mobilefirst), social presence, asset plans, internal enablement entities and external marketing initiatives.
- • Plan and execute the content and messaging strategy -- executive keynotes, sessions/labs, expo presence -- of all WW mobile events (including, but not limited to, IBM conferences Connect, Pulse, Impact, Interconnect, Smarter Commerce, Innovate and IOD and 3rd party conferences Mobile World Congress, CTIA, IDC and AppNation)
- • Lead cross-brand initiative integrating messaging of more than 10 brands and 50 offerings, consisting of hosting weekly messaging calls and closely partnering with dozens of product marketing managers to strategically position our mobile capabilities across the company.
- • Closely align with event strategist, web manager, PR/AR teams, BP lead, enablement lead, demand generation strategist, internal comms team, social strategist, advertising team and others across the company to ensure consistent branding and messaging of our mobile portfolio.
- • Led Lenovo Services' worldwide site redesign including homepage and 16 product pages across 66 countries.
- • Launched a new international services sales portal to improve usability and drive increased sales.
- • Programmed all Flash-based interactive packages; received 13 awards for five projects.
- • Launched video-based advertising initiative by programming and implementing a Flash-based videoplayer with pre-roll, post-roll and lower-thirds ad spots.
- • Selected as one of 10 students across the nation to report on their University for CNN.com
IBM Worldwide Mobile Marketing Manager (2012 - 2014)
Responsible for all content and messaging worldwide for IBM's cross-brand mobile initiatives, one of CEO Ginni Rometty's top four priorities for the company. This includes:
Lenovo Worldwide Services Web Marketing Intern (2012)
The Roanoke Times Multimedia Producer (2007-2008)
CNN.com UNC Correspondent (2006-2007)
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Multimedia Intern (2006)
» Entrepreneurial Experience
Founder, Reportory (2014 - present)
Founded and launched a business to provide a-la-carte customized news to readers. Reportory lets you pick which news sources you read, which sections you enjoy, and which keywords you want to track. Each day you will then receive your customized news, only from those sources, topics and keywords … no two news digests are alike! Receive your news in your inbox each morning, or simply log in online or via your mobile to read on-the-go. As your news preferences change, simply update your settings and your next news digest will update accordingly.
Founder and Managing Editor, Innovative Interactivity (2007-2012)
- • Remotely managed 16 guest bloggers and daily Spanish editor
- • Researched and wrote more than 600 posts in four years
- • Turned site profitable in 2010 with affiliate marketing and direct advertisers
- • Grew site to 85,000 annual visitors from 177 countries, 6 Page Rank and 95 Technorati authority
- • Sold website and brand in 2012 to UNC Chapel Hill's School of Journalism and Mass Communication
Co-founder, YoungButNotBroke.com (2010)
- • Developed an investing Web site with my twin brother targeting young investors
- • Site was acquired by the #1 independent financial advisor in the nation, according to Barrons
New Media Consultant, i360Gov (2009-2010)
- • Launched and oversaw company's digital presence daily during digital start-up's first year
Fellow, Reynolds Journalism Institute (2015)
- One of 8 fellows of 225+ submissions to receive a $20,000 grant to support work on news aggregation
Multimedia Fellow, Carnegie-Knight Initiative (Summer, 2010)
- One of 12 students from UNC to receive a $5,000 grant to report on renewable energy
Multimedia Fellow, The Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting (Summer, 2009)
- One of six students across the country to receive a $2,000 travel grant to report on an under-reported international issue
Multimedia Fellow, The Poynter Institute (Summer, 2007)
- One of 16 students selected across the country to attend a prestigious five-week seminar on visual journalism
» Awards and Recognition
- • World Press Photo, 2nd Place, Interactive Multimedia Production (2011)*
* World Press Photo is one of the most well-respected professional organizations in the industry.
- • Horizon Interactive Awards, Gold, University Web site (2010)
- • College Photographer of the Year 2010 Gold, Large Group Multimedia Project (2010)
- • Business Insider, Most Innovative Alternative News Stories Of 2010
- • Society of Environmental Journalists, 1st place Outstanding student reporting
- • Webby Awards, Student Nominee*
* One of five finalists; more than 10,000 entries submitted to 70 categories.
- • Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, 1st place multimedia (2010)
- • Casey Medals for Meritorious Journalism, Multimedia (2009)
- • National Press Photographers Association (NPPA) Best of Photojournalism (BOP), 2nd Place Best Multimedia Package, Under 75,000 circ. (2009)
- • Pictures of the Year International (POYi) Documentary Project of the Year Award (2008)*
* Premier award given to one of 240 winners from an initial pool of 48,000 submissions from 71 countries.
- • Associated Press Managing Editors (APME) Online Convergence Award, 40,000 to 150,000 circ. (2008)
- Virginia Press Association (VPA) 1st Place Multimedia Award (2008)
- VPA Journalistic Integrity and Community Service Award (2008)
- Society for News Design (SNDies) Quarterly Award, Non-breaking Features (June, 2008)
- • SNDies Silver Award (2008)*
* Of the hundreds of entrants, only five received silver and two received gold awards.
- • VPA 3rd Place Multimedia Award (2008)
- • SNDies Quarterly Award, Breaking News (June, 2008)
- • NPPA BOP, 2nd Place Best Multimedia Package, Under 75,000 circ. (2008)
- • SNDies Quarterly Awards, Non-breaking Sports (March, 2008)
- • VPA 2nd Place Multimedia Award (2008)
- • Time.com “Top 50 Best Web sites of 2007”
- • Flash
- • Dreamweaver
- • InDesign
- • Photoshop
- • Illustrator
- • AS2/AS3
- • XML
- • HTML
- • CSS
- • Wordpress
- • Joomla
- • Drupal
- • Silverstripe
- • Final Cut Pro
- • Pinnacle Studio
- • Canopus Edius
- • Adobe Audition
- • Pro Tools
- • Audacity
- • Access
- • MySQL
- • PHP
- • NoSQL (Big Table, Dynamo, Cassandra, etc.)
* Intro-level knowledge